Sunday, March 21, 2010

St. Patricks Day Cupcakes


What better way to celebrate the Luck of the Irish than with Cupcakes! Martha has themed cupcakes for almost every holiday, which she shares in chronological order in the Chapter called "holidays" (how convenient!)

This cupcake combines the Brown Sugar Pound Cake with a Baileys Irish Cream Frosting. Let me start off by saying that this batter was the best I've ever tasted! brown sugar and butter, mmmm! The batter also calls for buttermilk, which is not something most of us have 'on hand', but all together it was pretty simple. Being a pound cake, it was obviously pretty dense, but the winner in this cupcake was definitely the icing! who new only 3 tablespoons of Bailey would give so much flavour!


Martha suggests decorating these sweet treats with crystallized three leaf clover springs...Since St-Pattys day is in March, and my living in Canada, this was not a possible task, however, I used tinted piping gel to 'draw' a three leaf clover on about 1/3 of the cupcakes.


SAYKS RATING:


Difficulty: *


Taste: *** (I'll definitely use the icing again)


Appearance: ** (probably would have been nicer if I had the crystallized clovers)


Occasions: St-Patrick's day!


Who ate them: I wanted to bring them to work but didn't think it was a good idea to serve booze flavoured icing to pilots and Flight attendants! So Greg brought them to work :)




2 comments:

  1. It was the best pound cake I've ever had. I ate two!

    I think I may be buying the Martha Stewart cupcake cookbook . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alanna!!! You totally should :D Happy Baking!!!

    ReplyDelete